We are created in the image of an infinitely creative God—the First Entrepreneur—the One who brought our world out of nothing, established order out of chaos, and created for the good of others. Why does this matter? Because this truth validates the deep desire in our souls to create. We are made in the image of the Creator God; thus, when we follow His call to create new businesses, art, books, and other products, we are reflecting His character to the world. If you’ve ever wanted your work to feel like a calling rather than a job, this book is for you. If you’ve ever felt like your creating is anything less than God-honoring service to the world, this book is for you. Whether you’re a business owner, an entrepreneurial employee, a student looking to make something of the world, a mompreneur, a photographer, an artist, a musician, an author, or a chef, this book is for you.
In Called to Create, serial entrepreneur and best-selling author, Jordan Raynor, sets out to answer a series of questions about what it looks like to reimagine our creating as service to God and others, including:
- Is my work as an entrepreneur and creative really as God-honoring as that of a pastor or missionary?
- What are the best questions to ask when discerning God’s calling on my life?
- What does it look like to create not to make a name for myself but to glorify God and serve others?
- How can I use my work to fulfill Jesus’s command to create disciples?
- Will what I create today matter for eternity?
To answer these questions, Raynor brings in compelling stories from an eclectic group of 40+ Christian entrepreneurs including the founders of TOMS Shoes, Charity: Water, Chick-fil-A, In-N-Out Burger, Guinness, and HTC, as well as culture-creators such as C.S. Lewis, Johann Sebastian Bach, and J.R.R. Tolkien. Raynor’s “show” rather than “tell,” story-driven style makes you feel as if you are sitting at the feet of some of the godliest and most successful entrepreneurs of all time.